White Box /RHEL 3 on a Mac?

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 14:11:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

1.  I need to set up a mail server and also apache with a tiny site.
Can I run this on a G4 or G5 without too much of a headache?  I have
never really messed with Mac's but I know there is a lot of friendly
overlap between the linuxes/BSDs etc, and macs in terms of software.
I am not a developer, more of a sysadmin, and if I have to spend too
many hours messing with it, forget it!

2.  If so, would I need to get another <distribution> to run on a mac?
 Would that be the wise thing to do here?  Or can I just get a version
of White Box ?  I don't think there is another version out there, but
I am wondering if that is necessary, of if I can just load with the
'regular' i386 version that I have.  [In case you are wondering I do
not have the machine with me, otherwise I would try it myself.]

3.  If you read the White Box site, it has some pretty attractive
message about being able to avoid the 'upgrade treadmill' until at
least Oct. 2008.  Your thoughts, please!

4.  And let's say that I DO have to pay Red Hat for one server
license.. out of curiosity....any idea what that might cost?  This is
a nonprofit-to-be and there are absolutely no funds at the moment and
for the foreseeable while.

I am trying to get this thing started asap.  Any info is appreciated !
 Thanks in advance !

Marc