White Box /RHEL 3 on a Mac?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 3 14:29:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 09:11, linux r wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1.  I need to set up a mail server and also apache with a tiny site.
> Can I run this on a G4 or G5 without too much of a headache?  I have
> never really messed with Mac's but I know there is a lot of friendly
> overlap between the linuxes/BSDs etc, and macs in terms of software.
> I am not a developer, more of a sysadmin, and if I have to spend too
> many hours messing with it, forget it!

Why not use the software that Apple provides with OS X?  It is a BSD
type unix system.  So all of the standard packages you would need for a
mail server and web server should be available, if not bundled with OS X
then certainly compilable or installed via what ever package system OS X
uses.  Give the hardware that would be the best option IMHO.

Instead of using expensive equipment (G4 or G5) you might consider using
some cheap Intel or AMD based box.  You can get good boxes for 300 to
400 dollars that will be more than sufficient to handle a small site
with low volume traffic.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You are so boring that when I see you my feet go to sleep.