White Box /RHEL 3 on a Mac?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 3 17:06:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 10:21, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 09:29 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > Why not use the software that Apple provides with OS X?
>
> Many reasons come to mind. One of them, is to use Free Software, instead
> of mainly proprietary software.

You can still use apache and sendmail.  They should compile under OS X
just fine.

> >   It is a BSD type unix system.
>
> Not really. It is based on one such, but its behaviour has been severly
> hampered. Why get a toy BSD-based os when you can get a serious BSD?

I admit I have not used OS X but have been considering an Apple laptop
the next time I get one.  I think you are being unfair calling it a toy
BSD-based os.

> >   So all of the standard packages you would need for a
> > mail server and web server should be available, if not bundled with OS X
> > then certainly compilable or installed via what ever package system OS X
> > uses.  Give the hardware that would be the best option IMHO.
>
> You're giving it more hope than reality. The hardware is really nice,
> though. And I've considered getting an Apple laptop in the future, but
> only to use with Free Software.

Can't get much more free than Apache and sendmail.  :)  If you are
talking about the OS I think you purchase that along with the hardware.
So it is a sunk cost.  I don't think Apple sells systems without their
operating system.  But I could be wrong about that.

> > Instead of using expensive equipment (G4 or G5) you might consider using
> > some cheap Intel or AMD based box.  You can get good boxes for 300 to
> > 400 dollars that will be more than sufficient to handle a small site
> > with low volume traffic.
>
> This might be a good option...

If you are hung up on using "free" software I think that would be the
best option.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"Jesus saves...but Gretzky gets the rebound!"
-- Daniel Hinojosa (hinojosa at hp-sdd)