White Box /RHEL 3 on a Mac?

Colin Charles lists at bytebot.net
Thu Nov 4 02:02:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 09:11 -0500, linux r wrote:

> 1.  I need to set up a mail server and also apache with a tiny site.
> Can I run this on a G4 or G5 without too much of a headache?  I have
> never really messed with Mac's but I know there is a lot of friendly
> overlap between the linuxes/BSDs etc, and macs in terms of software.
> I am not a developer, more of a sysadmin, and if I have to spend too
> many hours messing with it, forget it!

Yes, you can

RHEL3 runs on a PPC archs. No idea if WBEL does (this isn't the right
list to ask, either)

> 2.  If so, would I need to get another <distribution> to run on a mac?
>  Would that be the wise thing to do here?  Or can I just get a version
> of White Box ?  I don't think there is another version out there, but
> I am wondering if that is necessary, of if I can just load with the
> 'regular' i386 version that I have.  [In case you are wondering I do
> not have the machine with me, otherwise I would try it myself.]

There's yellow dog, Ubuntu (highly recommended), or even good 'ole
Fedora Core on your Mac

	http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html

> 3.  If you read the White Box site, it has some pretty attractive
> message about being able to avoid the 'upgrade treadmill' until at
> least Oct. 2008.  Your thoughts, please!

Probably true, as long as RHEL3 is supported by RH, with the SRPMS being
released, WBEL can rebuild them

> 4.  And let's say that I DO have to pay Red Hat for one server
> license.. out of curiosity....any idea what that might cost?  This is
> a nonprofit-to-be and there are absolutely no funds at the moment and
> for the foreseeable while.

I think RH only sell AS for the PPC platform, because they target the
IBM (p|i)Series so it might be pretty darn costly

If I were you, and its a non-profit, get a cheaper x86 box and have that
sitting as the server
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi