Restoring FC images to different HW configs

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Nov 4 13:13:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:47:19AM -0000, Gary Harthill wrote:

>    I  use  PXE  boot  to  grab  a Ghost boot image from an TFTP server. A
>    preconfigured Linux install then multicasts over to the machines. Some
>    of  the machines have their hardware configured differently. ie on the
>    original machine
>

>    /boot = hda1
>
>    / = hda2
>
>    Swap = hda3
>

>    On  some  machines  the  hard  disks  are plugged into a different IDE
>    controller (don't ask me why). So the config needs to be:
>

>    /boot = hdc1
>
>    / = hdc2
>
>    Swap = hdc3
>

>    I  can configure grub to boot the kernel but it fails when it attempts
>    to mount the partitions.
>

>    How  do  I  re-configure  this  so  it  mounts the correct partitions?
>    Considering that I get to the rescue prompt and / is read only.

At a guess, I'd try building a custom initrd with a custom script to
detect the oddball configuration and modify fstab to suit. I'd use
fdisk to detect where the hard drive is located, and mount temporarily
to mount the root partition so you can hack fstab. So I would need
those two executables in the initrd.

BTW, please do not use HTML (Highly Toxic to Mail Language) in
email. See http://www.charlescurley.com/netiquette.html 2.E. for a
number of reasons not to. Thanks.