CD-RW devices recognition with k3b when updating kernel

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Nov 4 14:28:56 UTC 2004

A. Lanza wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I had updated my system kernel to 2.6.8 recenty. I used to record my CDs
> and DVDs using k3b. The problem is that, since I updated the kernel, k3b
> isn't able to recognize my CD-RW unit, so I cannot write any CDs or
> DVDs. However, if i start my system with kernel 2.6.5, k3b does
> recognize the devices.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks in advance

This is a FAQ. 2.6.8.x kernels are not allowing non-root users do not
have permission to burn. You have two options:

a) Log in as root and burn using k3b. (This option didn't work for me,
however, as it seemed that *no* user could burn).

b) Boot into a kernel <= 2.6.7.x

The News section of k3b.org discusses the issue albeit briefly. The
archives for this mailing list have many posts regarding the issue as
well. A good place to bookmark for searching the archives is:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

Hope this helps,
Clint