Do I need to convert ISO image to Bootable CD??

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Nov 4 18:14:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 12:31, Irwin Mercader wrote:

> I have already downloaded the ISO images, but i wasnt able to boot
> from the disc-1, do I still need to convert it to bootable CD????

If you have burned CD 1 correctly it will be bootable.  No need to do
any  kind of conversion.  You need to make sure you have burned the CD
as an image not burned the iso file to the CD.  You need to check your
software for that feature.  Mount the CD and check if there are a number
of files on it or just one big file.

The other possible problems are:

1. you don't have your CD drive specified as a bootable drive.  Check
your bios for this option.

2. The image you burned is bad, Verify the md5 check sums on the files
you dounloaded.  You may need to download the files again to get a clean
copy.  Try a different mirror if you have this problem.

3. The disk you burned is bad.  You may need to burn the disk at a
slower speed than the maximum you drive permits.  Some media does not
work well at high speeds.

4. The machine you are trying to boot from CD has a CD drive that has
problems reading burned CDs.  This has been reported on some older
systems.

I think that is most of the possible problems.  Did I forget any?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Boy, that crayon sure did hurt!