Status of XP Dual Boot Problem -- a long comment

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 17:26:03 UTC 2004

Paul Rennix wrote:
> Sorry for jumping in mid-thread, and I'm not sure if this has been
> pointed out, but this problem appears to have been fixed in FC3T3.
>
> I think Fedora Core 3 is only a week or two from being released, but the
> test version is working great so far for me.
>
> To do a dual install, I had an OEM install of XP Home on a new laptop.
> I resized the partition to about half the size using Knoppix.  Then I
> installed FC3T3 and instructed it to use existing free space then the
> rest was install as usual...

So you didn't try FC2 on that laptop?

The thing is, not every computer had the dual boot bug. I don't think
I've ever seen a good explanation of exactly which circumstances cause
the bug. It might just be that your laptop would have worked anyway.

Mine didn't -- but then mine is a multi-way install, with a rarely-used
Win98 partition. That got installed first (because that's the easiest
way to get everything co-existing), then Windows 2000, then Fedora (I
think it was FC2 on this hard drive). I let each OS create its own
partitions.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "!" sez I.  And "?".  After a few speechless seconds
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | I come out with "%^&*".  Unless I come up with