how to add rpm ?

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 19:21:11 UTC 2004

Hi

> This illustrates the beauty of open-source software in general,
> actually. Apt was originally the package management system for Debian.
> Then, the distributors of Connectiva (sp?), another rpm-based distro,
> "ported" apt to the rpm environment. They could do this because the
> inventors of Debian released apt under GPL. I really believe, contrary
> to the reviewers at DistroWatch, that apt-for-rpm has repaired the rpm
> system's worst major defect.
>
> Temlakos

connectiva is very popular is some regions and have done a great work
by releasing everything they produce as gpl'ed stuff including apt4rpm
and synaptic. the distrowatch article you talk about is a very old
one. one important problem yet to solve by fedora itself is not
automatic dependency is creating the infrastructure for community
participating like mandrake does. that should result in a big *single*
repository of free packages. the automatic dependency problem was
solved long before by up2date and apt4rpm and yum have added to the
feature set. if only they would use the same metadata format for
repos, thats another milestone

regards
Rahul Sundaram