Yum repo compatibility

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Sat Nov 6 04:57:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 17:48, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 01:40 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:

> > > No list, but this is definitely a FAQ
> > >
> > > Compatible (definitely, w/assurance):
> > >
> > > Fedora.us
> > > Livna
> > > Jpackage
> > > Macromedia Flash
> > > (possibly, a little unsure here) Freshrpms
> > >
> > > Not-compatible with the above (but maybe with each other):
> > > Dag
> > > apt.sw.be
> > > atrpms
> > > (if above fails :P) Freshrpms
> > > Nyquist
> > > <insert joe random repo>
> >
> > Let me add to this that the incompatability of the 3rd party repositories
> > has nothing to do with the inability or unwillingness of the 3rd party
> > packagers (to the contrary). But the unwillingness (and policy) of
> > fedora.us to not allow for compatibility. Apparently it is too hard to
> > work with the community.
>
> And if this is making the FAQ, it should be made clear that:
>
> Dag, newrpms, atrpms, freshrpms are fully compatible with each other
> (info from http://freshrpms.net/links)
>
> Fedora.us, livna, jpackage, flash is yet another compatible lot
>
> Don't forget to add a link to
> http://www.fedora.us/wiki/RepositoryMixingProblems
>
> And alas, Dag, and the rest of the repos, I'm sure there's light at the
> end of the tunnel and if we all forget our differences just for a bit,
> the Extras thing will be a bigger, greater, reality
> (no point inter-repo-"fighting", when our goal is to have a great number
> of packages, when we can truly say, "we package the universe")
>
> Warmest regards
> --
> Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
> http://www.bytebot.net/
> "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
> then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi

We should give Red Hat credit for not "ordering" independent people what
to do.  If you look at Apple and Microsoft you must do it one way or not
at all.  Linux is a big sea and Red Hat is only one spot, and they don't
try to control the industry.

Someday soon wine or maybe Intel will make it so we can just click on a
program and it will run regardless of the OS it's from.  And it will be
a programmer somewhere in the USA, India, or China that says "I've got
it!"  Then we'll all be free to pick the programs we like off the shelf
or download, pop them in and go.

Tim...

And I think Gandhi would have liked to see every one work together :-)

Tim...