cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1) ??

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sat Nov 6 16:59:20 UTC 2004

Recently I had a yum update problem like this, too. So for this one plugin I
downloaded an rpm. I don't understand the output below. I've tried deleting
the pid file to see if that freed up the process but no joy. The archive
suggests making sure no other process is running. I've logged out and back
in, which I would have thought would terminate my user processes. Anyone?

Dave

[dave at athlon downloads]$ rpm -ivh ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.lvn.0.5.pre1.2.i386.rpm
error: cannot get shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
warning: ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.lvn.0.5.pre1.2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
ID  a109b1ec
error: cannot get shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
[dave at athlon downloads]$

--
Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi): Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western
        Civilization?