Wireless card recommendations (Was: Linksys Wireless Card)

Jay Moore jaymo at mail.bokler.com
Sat Nov 6 17:35:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 16:37, Mike Witt wrote:
> Okay, thanks everyone for the info on the Linksys card.
> It turns out that, in the future I'd like to buy cards
> that will pop right into boxes running FC2 and work.
>
> Can anyone recommend Wireless "G" PCI cards that work
> easily with FC2?

There are no "G" cards that work with "out of the box" on any "free" OS
at the present time. This seems to be a result of the fact that the
manufacturers of the chipsets are  unwilling to release the specs
necessary for developers to build the necessary drivers, and/or provide
the firmware under a licensing arrangement compatible with open-source
licensing.

I plan on sticking with the "B" cards that use the Prism chipset (e.g.
Orinoco) until the chipset manufacturers and WiFi vendors see the light,
or until hell freezes over - whichever comes first :)

www.seaattlewireless.net used to keep tabs on all of this...

V/R,
Jay