Where is the $LANG variable defined?

Dave Lester dlester at davenet.org
Sat Nov 6 21:43:20 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Miller" <mattdm at mattdm.org>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: Where is the $LANG variable defined?

> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 09:17:44AM -0500, Dave Lester wrote:
>> On the latter machine, whenever I do a man or look at other text files in
>> vi, I get some characters that are screwed up. That's why I'm assuming
>> that it's the $LANG variable that's doing it.
>> Any guidance on fixing this is appreciated.
>
> Others have answered with good answers to the question you actually asked,
> but here's another observation -- the problem isn't necessarily that the
> LANG variable is set incorrectly, but that something in your environment
> can't handle UTF8 properly. UTF8 is an encoding for dealing with unicode
> characters, and it's nice to have working as the world becomes more
> interconnected.
>
> The thing I'd look at first is your terminal program -- what are you
> using?

Well it happens in SecureCRT, but it also happens when I open a terminal
window in Gnome or if I telnet/ssh from another system.  I have an FC2
machine in my office that I use to ssh into the problematic one, and it also
happens there.  My default shell is bash.  I did actually fix it by setting
$LANG="en_US" in my .bash_profile.  But you are correct in your observation
that my problem is probably a symptom of some other problem since of the 3
FC2 machines I have, it only happens on 1 of them.

Thanks