Where is the $LANG variable defined?

Björn Persson listor1.rombobeorn at comhem.se
Sun Nov 7 00:48:28 UTC 2004

Dave Lester wrote:

> Well it happens in SecureCRT, but it also happens when I open a terminal
> window in Gnome or if I telnet/ssh from another system.  I have an FC2
> machine in my office that I use to ssh into the problematic one, and it
> also happens there.

It appears that OpenSSH totally ignores the fact that several character
encodings exist. At least I haven't been able to get it to pay attention
to character encodings. As a result you have to make sure that all the
boxes you SSH to or from use the same character encoding. I suppose
Telnet is no better.

Björn Persson