Help diagnosing a lockup

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Nov 8 02:15:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 18:38, Gene Smith wrote:
> Federico Tello Gentile wrote, On 11/06/2004 01:56 PM:
> > Sadly I can't do a remote login here, this PC is not on a network.
> > I'll leave the memtest running eventually, but I never had this
> > problem running windows since I bought it, and it has been about 2
> > years.
> > I didn't try to insert a CD, but I will next time. The CD autorun is
> > not making the unit light flash ever.
> >

> I assume you are running the generic "vesa" driver? That seems to help
> for me.
>
> On mine I see the disk light flash when there is no cd installed. Not
> sure about when a cd is inserted if it stops. But I guess if music keeps
> playing after lock that indicates no crash too.
>
> Someone below mentioned going with fc3. Possibly it fixes these type of
> problems. Guess I had hoped fc2 whould become stable like fc1 was
> reported. Maybe I will move to fc3 when I get a chance. Hopefully a
> clean install would not be required?

My thoughts.
Each release is a step forward to a better overall system.  It fixes
known problems and provides new features.

For me FC2 has been very stable. Now, however, since FC2 is being
replaced, it will likely be relegated to the "security fixes only" bin
soon.

I plan to go with FC3 as soon as possible on a couple systems.