howto set evolution to work with spamassassin and clamav

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 15:28:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 09:48, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Monday 08 November 2004 08:31, James Kosin wrote:
>

> > ClamAV will remove the email before it makes it to your mailbox.
> > Spamassassin, I'll have to defer to someone with more knowledge.
> > Read the ClamAV documentation, it is very simple to setup and get
> > running with sendmail.
> >

> I wondered the same thing when I first started using SA and popped
> over to their mail archives to do a little searching on the subject.
> After a few minutes, the impression I was left with was "It'll be a
> cold day in #$*] when SA starts deleting messages."
>
> Regards,  Mike Klinke

Actually you don't really want spamassassin to delete the messages.  It
will identify likely spam messages.  Now you can configure procmail or
even evolution to delete messages marked as spam automatically.  However
during the initial learning process it would be best to review all
tagged messages just to make sure you have no false positives.  If you
get to the point where you have not seen any false positives for many
months then by all means you can change the filters to delete messages
marked as spam.

However it is a good idea to keep those messages at least long enough to
run them through sa-learn since all messages marked as spam are not auto
learned by spamassassin.  For spamassassin to auto learn a message in
bayes it must have a very high score in both header rules and body rules
not counting any scores added by bayes itself.  So keeping those spam
messages long enough to run sa-learn on them is a good thing.  And you
can script this to run automatically if you like.  I have a script that
will do that for me but I have not put into a cron job.  I run the
script about once a week or every other week.  Just prior to running the
script a do a quick scan through the spam folder just to make sure I
don't have any false positives.

And if you are running your own MTA I highly recommend you implement
greylisting.  This will block 99% or more of the spam out there from
ever getting on your system let alone into your inbox.

Sadly greylisting only works at the MTA level not the mailbox level.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Always think of something new; this helps you forget your last rotten idea.
		-- Seth Frankel