VDQ : Can my FC1's gnome-terminal be fixed?

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 8 19:11:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:41:09 -0800, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 02:13:43PM -0500, Beartooth wrote:
>>
>> Logged in as test, I put the terminal launcher on the panel, moved it to
>> the position I normally keep it, and clicked on it. Test got a
>> gnome-terminal, with a working prompt, and can modify things like the
>> colors -- which is what my eyeballs require.
>
> OK so gnome-terminal works for "Mr. Test".  This tells me
> that the system is OK and that the specific problem is associated
> with your account setup.
>
> gnome-terminal keeps setup information in
> 	$HOME/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal
> 	$HOME/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/
>
> First try in a gnome-terminal to reset the default profile.
> Click on
>       Edit --> profiles
>
> On the Colors tab click and uncheck "Use Colors from system theme"

It was already unchecked. Checking it got the prompt back!

But it also grayed out Built-in schemes -- so I can't set that to Custom,
and therefore can't set the Text color nor the Background color. When I
uncheck it again, I can set those; they were already very different --
dark brown on light green; I darkened one further and lightened the other
further; but when I got back out of editing the profile, the prompt was
still absent. Checking it once more brought the prompt back -- black on
white.

Palette, with the system theme colors checked, lets me choose among Linux
console, XTerm, Rxvt, and Custom. But, even though clicking on a color
gets me a palette, nothing I do with it seems to have any effect.

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!