Help diagnosing a lockup

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Nov 8 18:49:46 UTC 2004

Federico Tello Gentile wrote:

> It has always happened while I was working at it, that is moving the
> mouse, never when I leave it playing music or just turned on but not
> sitting at it.
> Can it be a mouse driver issue? I have a Genious NetScroll (with
> wheel) but I have to use it with the Microsoft intellimouse driver
> (serial) so it detects the wheel.
> I now believe it is some hardware/driver looping forever but how can I
> diagnose this?
>
> Thanks for reading all.

I will say that this is almost the exact problem that I have on my
machine at home.

I have had a total display lockup about once every two months.  The
system still works in the background.  I am on FC1.  As it is
happening in FC2, I would suspect it is something that hasnt' changed
so it must be related to a different display driver.  I was thinking
that it was related to disk or drive access as one time it was
plugging in a usb stick and another time, when opening some windows.

I have tried to trace it down but havn't had any joy.  Did memtest,
updated bios etc to try and trace the problem.  Not enough information
to submit a bug report.

I noticed that others have different video cards so I don't think it
is the video driver.  Does it only happen in Gnome or KDE?  I use Gnome.

--
Robin Laing