Forbid root to log in X

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Mon Nov 8 18:22:47 UTC 2004

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am using Fedora Core 2 with KDE and GNOME. I would like to know
> whether it is possible to prevent root to log in them and if it is
> what configuartion should I make?

The file
      /etc/securetty
says where (which ttys) Root is allowed to login from.
If you remove all the entries you should take care of "login"

For ftp (actually vsftpd) there is a file
      /etc/vsftpd.ftpusers
that lists those who are NOT allowed to login in (root is already there)

and Im sure that if you look at the documentation for sshd there
must be an option there to disallow root access.

With all of these, if a user has succeeded in loging in locally, he
will still be able to su to root.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com