FC3 dual boot

Martin Sandaas martin.sandaas at losmail.no
Mon Nov 8 21:31:06 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Newborough" <mail at philipnewborough.co.uk>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: FC3 dual boot

> Mike Westkamper wrote:
>> Has anyone tried to install FC3 final release as the second OS on a
>> machine
>> with Win2k or XP already loaded?
>> Or put another way was the bug in FC2 fixed?
>>
>> I got into a briar patch with FC2 and messed up my machine big time.
>> Before I try this again with FC3 final I thought I'd ask.
>>

> not tried C3 but have had C2 running and dual booting with win2kpro for
> several months now. what was your problem with it?
>
> cheers
>
> phil./
>
> --
> ---
> [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

If I remember correctly that bug was only a problem if you tried installing
FC2 and i.e. XP on the same physical HD.  I remember I tried that once, and
deleted a partition.  But were able to recover, since I had installed the
MBR on a different HD (used F8 during boot to chose what HD/MBR to boot
from).  If I started XP (which was installed on yet another physical HD), I
could get the partition back with the logical disk manager.

So what I guess I'm trying to say is that you won't be affected by the FC2
bug if you installed on 2 seperate HDs.

Cheers,
Martin S