Help diagnosing a lockup

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 22:11:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:45:13 -0500, Federico Tello Gentile
<federicotg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, after I added the logging code to my /etc/rd.d/rc.local script
> the lockup showed up once more (call me lucky, I guess :-) ).
> I can confirm the lockup is total, the log stopped at the time
> everything freezed. I waited 3 minutes with everything hanged but
> nothing was logged in those minutes.
>
> The code I was running is:
> while true; do date >> /var/log/alive ; sync ; sleep 60 ; done &
>
> Maybe some higher priority can be added to that command, so it runs
> even on high load moments?
>
> This time the hangup happened when I clicked the edit menu in
> Rhythmbox, the menu was about to be drawn (a gray box appeared where
> the menu was about to appear) and everything locked.
>
> Can soft reboots from windows 98 affect the Linux drivers (by leaving
> the hardware in a strange state)? This time I was using it after
> rebooting from windows 98.
> I sometimes lose the sound system when booting from windows but
> recover sound after rebooting again.
>

> --

I had a distant-cousin problem of this a while back with FC1 and a
logitech usb mouse.  It locked up at bootup.  I tried running kudzu
from the CL but that REALLY hosed it up.  Fyi, this was back when I
was using GNOME and it got too boggy, so I decided to defect across
the border to KDE.  I think FC1 had USB problems judging by this and
other issues.
Wound up doing a reinstall and choosing another mouse, that was the
only way I knew to fix it.  Luckily this was a relatively new install
anyway.  I think I went to the generic choice and it fixed it.

Marc