Fedora Core 3 Installation

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Tue Nov 9 02:05:35 UTC 2004

Just had a rather odd experience with the FC3 install messing up the
grub that i told it not to touch!

sda1 has Scientific Linux (a RHEL3 derivative)
sda2 had FC3-test3, using grub from sda1
	(I installed FC3-test3 without grub,  and later manually
	configured grub to also boot from sda2)

I decided to do a full fresh install, like i had installed fc3-test3.
Identical procedure.

I tried to boot the old SL/RHEL3 from sda1.... get a kernel panic,
with the "no init found" message. So, somehow the FC3 install messed
up the MBR/grub info....

I then tried rescue boot and changing all LABEL=/ (and similar)
to the hardcoded /dev/sdaX references and even re-ran grub-install,
but to no avail.

Anybody have a clue what could be going on here. From running chroot
in the rescue cd it looks like all the proper files are in my /boot,
so I'm quite stumped here.

- peter