FC3 Install on HP zv5000z (aka Compaq R3000z) notes

Brian Stretch bstretch at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 9 07:59:23 UTC 2004

Some notes from the x86_64 version:

nVidia's 6629 drivers won't drive my 1680x1050 widescreen.  The 6111
version and regular nv work fine.  I neglected to switch back to nv
before upgrading so I was in trouble no matter what (thanks to whoever
posted the tip to add 3 to the grub options to force textmode startup).
Disabling EDID was insufficient to get 6629 working:

        Option      "IgnoreEDID" "true"
        Option      "UseEdidFreqs" "false"

EDID is almost certainly the root of the problem.  My screen isn't reporting
its capabilities correctly and it's downhill from there.  I'd already set the
correct modelines in FC2, I didn't check to see if FC3 already knows
about 1680x1050 LCD panels.

Bluetooth is very easy to get working, once you figure out how.  Install all
the Bluetooth-related RPMs, start the bluetooth service, then:

/usr/bin/hidd --server    # I added this to /etc/rc.local
hidd --search    # While holding down the discovery button on your mouse/etc

That'll get your Bluetooth mouse/keyboard/other HID device connected, then
add:

/usr/bin/hidd --connect <identifier_returned_by_search>

to the end of your /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file.

gnome-bluetooth-manager didn't work for me.  The startup script references
/usr/lib rather than /usr/lib64 like it should;  fixing that launched the program but
I don't think it was working correctly.  Oh well, best to use the command-line
tools anyhow.  Anyhow, very cool to be able to use my Bluetooth mouse.

I'm assuming we poor Broadcom WiFi users are still SOL under 64-bit Linux
until Broadcom corrects their rectal-cranial inversion and starts supporting
their wireless products?  I'd replace the miniPCI card but HP has locked out
non-HP miniPCI wireless cards (documented in the HP Hardware Guide).
The poor HP research tech I talked with can vouch for how very pissed off
I am about this...

Power management works automagically.  Yaaaay!  (Anyone know how
to undervolt in 64-bit Linux, like you can do with ClockGen under Windows?)

Weird: sometimes, the kernel complains about "K8 Errata #93" being
unpatched, sometimes it doesn't.  It doesn't appear to hurt anything.  I'm
running BIOS F.21 on my zv5000z;  F.03 definitely didn't have this errata
patched but I'm pretty sure they fixed it by F.12.

I like the new desktop background :-).

Overall, it's a nice upgrade.  Absolutely worth it.  Nice job!