Installing other Linux distributions togheter with FC2

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Nov 9 09:04:07 UTC 2004

On 11/09/2004 12:30:25 AM, A. Lanza wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I get news about new distributions every month or so. I'd like to
> take
> look at those, to compare them with FC, but I only have one single
> machine. Does anybody know if I can install another distributions
> togheter with my FC2 and decide which one to run at boot time?

Yes - you certainly can.
Make sure you don't nuke your fedora install though.

What I tend to do is tell the installer not to install boot loader etc.
Then I copy it's kernel to my /boot partition (you should have a /boot
partition if you want to do this), and add it to grub manually.

I then from within Fedora mount the / of the new install, and edit the
fstab file so it mounts /boot at /boot.

Then I chroot into the new install as use the groupadd and useradd
commands to create user accounts with same gid/uid - delete anything in /
home of the chroot, and edit the fstab once again to mount my /home
there.

Works very well.