FC3 Install on HP zv5000z (aka Compaq R3000z) notes

Brian Stretch bstretch at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 9 16:30:56 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: alan <alan at clueserver.org>
Sent: Nov 9, 2004 2:37 AM

> This is why I bought the model with 1900x1200.  That size is the same as
> the 20" Apple lcd display.
>
> It took a specific mode line to get 1900x1200 to work right.  I found it
> on one of the searches to get various pieces working.

I bought my notebook well before the 1920x1200 screens were offered,
back in March.  And before DVD burners were offered, but it was easy
to swap one in.  I moderate http://www.r3000forums.com btw.

> Cool. Thanks! Now I just need to get a few Bluetooth devices...

I'm using Microsoft's Bluetooth mouse, also have their keyboard (the
keyboard and mouse kit wasn't much more than the mouse alone).
You will need to buy AA NiMH batteries (see batteries.com), I think
Logitech includes them with their Bluetooth mouse.  It's very nice to
have one less cable to deal with when transporting the notebook,
though Microsoft really should have put an On/Off switch on the mouse
as it burns battery power while bouncing around my backpack.
I haven't tried the keyboard under Linux, I found it's easier just to use
the built-in keyboard.

>> gnome-bluetooth-manager didn't work for me.  The startup script references
>
> This has been reported already.  It should be fixed real soo now.

Cool.

> Crap!  I am pissed too. I have a mini-pci Intel card waiting to be
> installed.  At least I did not find out after pulling out all the
> screws...

Yeah, HP and IBM are the only two companies that do this, so HP's
official excuse that the FCC made them lock out "untested" miniPCI
cards in the BIOS rings hollow.  I found out about this the hard way
after ordering an (expensive!) Atheros card from the cool folks at
metrix.net.

>> Power management works automagically.  Yaaaay!  (Anyone know how
>> to undervolt in 64-bit Linux, like you can do with ClockGen under Windows?)
>
> Not happy about it wanting to stay at 900mhz at boot when plugged in.  I
> would prefer starting fast and then clocking down when it starts to get
> hot.

You should let it.  There is an extreme difference in power consumption
between 800MHz @ 0.95V (or 1.1V for the old C0 cores like I have) and
full speed @ 1.5V.  The performance difference should be imperceptible
outside of benchmark tests.  Linux does a better job of keeping power
consumption down than Windows, but still.  I usually force 1GHz @ 0.85V
with ClockGen under WinXP and get ~4 hours of battery life with a
12-cell battery.  1.4GHz @ 1V works well too, as does full speed @ 1.3V.
I'd really like to know how to undervolt under Linux but I don't have
time to figure out how to hack the power management daemon myself.