fresh install observations

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Tue Nov 9 17:14:23 UTC 2004

Have a fresh install here and a handful of items are worth noting:

The default Gnome login looks more "Gnomish" than it previously did. For
example the task bar with Applications and Actions is at the top of the
screen, while a window list appears at the bottom.

Mozilla isn't among the menu items in Internet, although Mozilla-Mail is
there. However, if the user starts mozilla from the command line, it's
there. I wonder why it was left off the menu?

When starting KDE, we have the bouncing "Autostart" icon for a good
30-45 seconds -- I thought this bug was fixed back in FC2, no?

The windows have a nice rounded effect to them. Though in KDE, we still
have the annoyance that a hover over the "X" on a window turns oddly
into a double-headed arrow. (Thought that got some attention back in FC2
also, but maybe not.)

SELinux is enabled by default, but the user can disable it when
installing/upgrading.

The command prompt in Gnome terminal looks slightly different:

old look:
[fred at localhost fred]$

new look:
[fred at localhost ~]$

no biggie, there, obviously.

The printer icon is not on among those on the task bar, like it used to
be. It didn't need to be there in the first place, heh. I do wish the
terminal icon was a part of the default task bar (I know it's easy to
add, but I think it ought to be there by default.)

yum's got a different configuration setup -- I guess we'll have plenty
of FAQ's about that. It'll be a big help to get some sample yum.conf's
or files available.

That's all for now!

Clint