FC3 update => syslog / portmap do not start anymore; no more menu-entries

Stephen Smalley sds at epoch.ncsc.mil
Tue Nov 9 17:36:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 12:47, Jochen Witte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just upgraded to FC3 (from FC2) and I get the following:
>
> ---snip---
> [root at host ~]# /etc/init.d/syslog start
> System-Protokollierdienst starten: syslogd: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied
>
> [root at ching ~]# /etc/init.d/portmap start
> portmap starten: portmap: error while loading shared libraries: libnsl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied
> ---snip---
>
> Another point is, that I lost the whole start-menu!
>
> What's up here? Any suggestions

Sounds like SELinux was enabled upon the upgrade (it is enabled by
default in FC3) but filesystems were not relabeled.  If you want SELinux
enabled, then run fixfiles relabel from single-user mode to label your
filesystems and reboot; if not, then set SELINUX=disabled in
/etc/selinux/config or add "selinux=0" to your kernel commandline in
grub.conf and reboot.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency