First thoughts on FC3

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 18:17:39 UTC 2004

Jesse Jarzynka wrote:
> If you are already running a kernel, it would be telinit 3, not init 3.

This is good general advice, although not necessary for Fedora.

man init (which is the same page as for telinit) says:

       The  init binary checks if it is init or telinit by looking at its pro-
       cess id; the real init’s process id is always 1.  From this it follows
       that instead of calling telinit one can also just use init instead as a
       shortcut.

This may not be true for other *nixes.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | I must refute the rumour that one of our team members
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | walks on water. Although it's true that Barry Cryer