glibc version problem: What are my options?

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Tue Nov 9 23:51:03 UTC 2004

Neil Bird wrote:
> Around about 07/11/2004 10:50, Jakub Jelinek typed ...

>>> I made a script setting the variable, running the rose startup script
>>> and finally removing the variable again. I guess any program started
>>> while Rose is running would also be using the older libraries, but
>>> that is OK, or isn't it..?
>>

>> It is always better to only set it for the exact program that needs it.
>

>   In fact, if you do it as originally laid out on one line:
>
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 /path/to/rjavarelay options
>
>   .. then it *is* only set for that program;  your script need only have
> that line and the #!/bin/bash header.
>
>   If you *do* set it as a var. in a script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
> /path/to/rjavarelay options
>
>   .. it'll *still* only apply to that app. as the value is set only for
> the script, not the caller or any other process.

Thanks for the info and help. This last post answered my remaining
questions about this issue (Mindreader ;-)

I'm _very_ sorry to say that the job Rational did on this port from
Windows, particularely with the integration within the Linux desktop
(which is nonexistent). Strange when we know how strong the owner is
backing Linux...

Frode