update to FC3 failed [x86_64] [Solved]

Peter pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Wed Nov 10 01:00:32 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 10.11.2004 schrieb Sam Varshavchik um 0:57:
> A new version of kudzu falling to pieces, would not be a surprise.  Happened
> before.  Will happen again.
>
> Generally, if the kernel boots into userspace fine, and mounts root, but
> then gets stuck, kudzu is the culprit 90% of the time.
>
> Try booting into run level S, by editing the kernel boot line in grub.
>
> You should get a shell prompt.  Then 'service kudzu off', and 'init 6'.  See
> what happens.

Thanks for your information. It wasn't kudzu, but you and Elliots hint
about nvidia pointed me into the right direction. I could boot with
parameter S, I could boot with parameter 3, so there had to be something
wrong with the graphics system.

I detected that grub was miss configured. Seems to be that anaconda/grub
installer was disturbed by my test installation into a spare partition.
The update was correctly performed for my work partition, but the root=
entry in grub (of course with the same kernel version) had not been
adjusted accordingly and still pointed to my test partition.

I made the correction and now it boots just fine.

I suppose this is a very special case and not worth a bugzilla entry.

Thanks
Peter