cd media test during install

Ken Barber kenb at nu-world.com
Wed Nov 10 06:12:28 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 7:20 pm, Jim Cornette wrote:

> Anyway, to prevent getting a full stack of coasters, can someone verify
> that adding ide=nodma allows the cdroms to verify properly?

Yes, it allows the cdroms to verify properly.  The link that you couldn't get
to is an email from Alan Cox himself, who said "[T]he media check in FC3 is
broken unless you burned the CD with padding. The ide-cd driver is broken and
FC uses ide-cd not ide-scsi...."

So there you have it.

I first tried media check without passing any parameters at boot.  The first
disc passed and the second one failed.

Then I tried ide=nodma.  All four discs, plus the rescue disc, passed.  Then I
rebooted "normally" and did the install without any problems.

Ken