USB HD not detected in FC3

Martin Sandaas martin.sandaas at losmail.no
Wed Nov 10 06:55:25 UTC 2004

I installed FC3 a few hours ago, on a machine I used to have FC2.  I could always list my external USB discs with "fdisk -l".  But now I can't see them, nor mount them.  Dmesg tells me this:
[martin at trinity ~]# dmesg | grep usb
usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
SELinux: initialized (dev usbfs, type usbfs), uses genfs_contexts
SELinux: initialized (dev usbdevfs, type usbdevfs), uses genfs_contexts
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
usb 1-2: device not accepting address 2, error -71
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 3
usb 1-2: device not accepting address 3, error -71

Does the above mean anything to anyone?  How can I get back my usbdrive?  The settings in modprobe.conf is default to the same as I had in FC2, and there it worked:

alias usb-controller uhci-hcd

The external disc is connected to an USB 1.1 controller!

Cheers,
Martin S