can't open display

Alexander Apprich A.Apprich at science-computing.de
Wed Nov 10 10:47:08 UTC 2004

Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Once upon a time Tuesday 09 November 2004 11:16 pm, phurd wrote:
>
>>Hey All,
>>
>>Up until unpgrading to FC3 I would ssh from machinea on machineb and then
>>run programs on machineb remotely from machinea.  I get confused by X
>>client/server language.  Since upgrading machinea from FC2 to FC3 I get
>>errors
>>
>>like:
>>: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>>
>> Xt error: Can't open display:
>
> Reading the release notes would help  the way ssh works has changed.  try ssh
> -X machineb  and it will work

The machine wide settings are in /etc/ssh/ssh_config
if you want to change the behaviour of ssh for yourself
copy this file to $HOME/.ssh/ssh_config and change

    ForwardX11 no

    ForwardX11 yes

If you want to change it permanently only for a specific domain insert

    Host *.yourdomain.org
      ForwardX11 yes

> Dennis

Your privat ssh_config in $HOME/.ssh/ will overwrite the settings
in /etc/ssh/ssh_config as long as the SSH server on the remote machine
allows it.

Alex