Where is the $LANG variable defined?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 10 10:54:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:43:31AM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:

> >>If it's that easy, why doesn't SSH set LANG? Why should I have a lot of
> >>trouble doing this manually every time? And how does that help with
> >>filenames?
> >
> >Answers to your questions in order. :)
> >
> >1. Because it has no idea what to set it to.
>
> It doesn't know because it doesn't bother to look, but that's the wrong
> answer. The answer is that it's *not* that easy.
> Björn Persson

An eloquent rant.

You did forget EBCDIC, alternated EBCDIC, packed 5 bit characters
and golly knows what else.

This is a massive problem with no clean solution.

Some special cases do have solutions...

For some, one hint might be to launch the terminal from the remote
machine so all the decisions can be made in one place.  If the network
link is quick enough and the tunnels setup OK this works.

     ssh -f somebox.com gnome-terminal
     ssh -f somebox.com xterm

In FC3's current version of ssh stuff there is a new? (to me) flag
that lets specific environment variables pass.  Something like...

     ssh -o"SendEnv blat" xtl1

If this works as expected one could pass $LANG and get a forward
looking language match.  Language and timezone info seem like good
choices of variables to pass.  This is not enabled by default
and warrants some inspection...

News at 11,
Mitch

--