best remote upgrade method (rh9->fc2)

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 10 16:46:29 UTC 2004

John Reiser wrote:
>> can anyone give me some advice for a method to upgrade a remote server
>> from
>> rh9 to fc2?
>
> Attempting a direct upgrade install from rh9 to fc2 using the same
> root filesystem is an invitation for disaster.  There are cases when
> it works, and cases when it does not.  Can you afford to find out
> which case applies to your system?  Perhaps you can, if you have
> a good, tested, reliable, trusted, complete backup before you start.

 From comments around work here, I would not recommend an upgrade to
FC2 but a clean install.  Some people are still trying to sort out
problems related to the upgrade.  I still have many broken links on my
system from an upgrade that I keep finding.  Some have had to resort
to a clean install after tryint to get their older install to work.

There are so many changes between FC1 and FC2 let alone RH9 to FC2
that alot of time could be saved by doing a clean install and
re-configuring.

Make backups and work from those.

--
Robin Laing