kernel sources for FC3 2.6.9-1.667

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 17:54:08 UTC 2004

David Cary Hart wrote:

> On one hand, the FC3 packages are compiled with the "mtune=pentium4"
> flag yet the kernel is distributed based on PentiumPro. Then it has the
> additional overhead of the generic x86 code.

Dave Jones replied:
> You'll be hard pressed to find a real-world example where this makes a
> noticable difference. Even microbenchmarks will likely be in the less
> than 5% range.

What about the 4G/4G split? Are we still where we were in April over the
performance losses due to that?

(In
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-April/msg01888.html
Alan Cox said that "its also about 10% slower on my laptop" and you
replied:
> It's somewhat strange that a few weeks ago when 4g/4g was temporarily
> disabled, absolutely *no-one* said "Hey, it got 10% faster!"
)

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Drums must never stop. Very bad if drums stop."
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Why? What will happen if the drums ever stop?"