mDNSResponder

Some Things thingies at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 19:41:39 UTC 2004

I see there's a new daemon in Fedora Core 3: mDNSResponder.

The man page says:
    The  mDNSResponder daemon publishes and browses available services on a
    link according to the IETF Zeronconf (aka "Rendezvous") draft standard.
    Only  one  instance  of  mDNSResponder  needs  to  run  on a host. Once
    started, mDNSResponder runs continuously

And I see its part of the howl package.  When I attempt to remove howl
I'm told gnome-vfs requires it.

So I guess if I want Gnome I need to keep this daemon.
I'd rather not have another daemon hanging around.