Help Configuring Samba

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Wed Nov 10 20:24:11 UTC 2004

Stormblaze wrote:

>># service smb status
>>smbd (PID 4766 4759) wird ausgeführt...
>>nmbd (PID 4763) wird ausgeführt...

make sure that your smbd- and "nmbd"-services are running

>>"master browser" "nmbd.log"

in the nmbd.log you should have an entry about an master-browser
this can take a while, ca. 10 minutes ?

>># tail -f /var/log/samba/*
>>==> /var/log/samba/nmbd.log <==
>>
>>  Samba name server XP1800 is now a local master browser for workgroup
>>MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.101.20
>>
>>  *****
>>[2004/11/10 18:57:50, 0]
>>nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
>>  *****
>>
>>  Samba name server XP1800 is now a local master browser for workgroup
>>MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.2.11
>>
>Shrek I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.

make sure that all your clients are in the same workgroup
your XP-user exist in the /etc/samba/smbpasswd
you have disabled the XP-firewall for your lan
in your smb.conf  your_share_section you should evtl. have
"browseable = yes"
and you should evtl. remove
"username = nobody"

and you could try in the global-section