Fedora Core 3 - upgrade notes

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 22:07:13 UTC 2004

Some Things said:
> In case anybody cares, here are a few comment from one person's update
> to Fedora Core 3.
>
> --- Really, really bad ---
>

> - On my box I need to enter "linux ide=nodma" at the very first prompt or
>  the install soon hangs.
[snip]
> - Perhaps because of the above during the install, I got the popup dialog
>  saying a package could not be installed because the media might be
> corrupt.
[snip]

Sounds like you need to invest in a new CD-Rom drive.  I'm not sure what
you expect the installer to do about it.

> --- Could be better ---
>

> - The boot is very ugly.  In the rhgb there's a "Show Details" button
> but it seems to click itself at one point.

Generally this is because an issue with a services.  Watch and see if you
see any errors.

> - Its nice that rpm makes .rpmsave backups of config files but it
> should not make the .rpmsave files when there is no change.

It is my experience that it doesn't.  You may have at some point saved the
file after viewing, causing the checksum to change.

> --- Nit picks ---
[snip]
> - Include yam (http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam) in next release

I'm doubting a reasonable case could be created to put this in Core.  Not
to say it isn't a good set of scripts, it is just of limited scope.

--
William Hooper