NVIDIA Again

dsyates dsyates at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 11 00:25:53 UTC 2004

 >On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 16:49 -0500, Jesse Jarzynka wrote:
 >
 >>    Ok, has anyone installed the latest 6629 driver, rebooted, and had
 >>eveything come up fine? I'm curious if this is a Core 3 issue, a kernel
 >>issue, or a 'just me' issue. I'm thinking of moving back to the 6111
 >>driver but I can't install that without the kernel sources correct? I
 >>tried modprobing 'nvidia' but that doesnt change the driver I'm using,
 >>and I still don't have accelerated 3D. Anyone know what's going on here?
 >>I'm real impressed with core3 so far but if I can't have ant apotlight
 >>screensaver what good is it :-P?
 >

 >To install the NVIDIA source you need to install the Kernel source.
 >Worked fine for me after I added a modprobe nvidia to rc.local (which
 >was not the case with FC2/6111.

adding to rc.local is not necessary, nor is removing rhgb from
/boot/grub/menu.lst, IF you fo the following as root after installing
the nvidia drivers:

cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

see http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/ for more info

--
David S. Yates
http://lottalinuxlinks.com