Nautilis Continually Crashing @ Boot

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 00:30:55 UTC 2004

Mark Sargent wrote:
> my sharemate suggests that if the 2 installs, RH9 and Fedora Core 2 were on
> the same drive/partitions(which they were), it could be a bad sector
> problem..? Does this sound feasable to anyone here..? Cheers.

It's possible, but unlikely.

I seem to be missing a couple of messages in the exchange, but it sounds
as though the FC2 install was a fresh install, with newly formatted
filesystems. In that case, any troublesome blocks should have been
mapped out by the disk hardware when FC2 was installed, and something
new was written over the failing blocks (and if nothing's been written
to a block, then Linux won't care what's in it).

That's unless the disk is out of spare sectors. Use
smartctl -l error /dev/hda
to see if the drive is reporting errors. If it is, don't trust it.

But it sounds much more likely that you've got a dodgy memory subsystem.
Use memtest86 to check.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "In these troubled times, it's always refreshing to
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | see a major company concentrating on vital issues.