Download FC3 by CD via bittorent

Philippe phd2 at fcomfrench.com
Thu Nov 11 01:34:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 07:57, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 04:21:16PM +0700, Philippe wrote:

> > > Philippe,
> > >
> > > I am a fan of bittorrent but on a dialup you are not likely to
> > > contribute to to the torrent in ways that you might expect.
> > >    $ netstat -an | grep 6[0-9][0-9][0-9] | grep ^tcp
> or lsof for the torren process id is good too.
>
> > That was exactly the kind of things I was thinking. Do I harm the other
> > users, taking parts from my download.
>
> Yes and No.  With a saturated dialup  lots of packets get
> to stand in line at both ends.  This increases latency which
> is already a problem for dialup.

[snip]

> Currently there is no 'profile' hook that I know of that would make it
> easy for the novice tune things.  It might be nice to have hooks
> "--link_type" and "--link_percent" that would let system admin folks do
> something like:
>
>      --link_type DIAL --link_percent=50
>      --link_type ADSL --link_percent=70
>      --link_type SDSL --link_percent=50
>      --link_type T1   --link_percent=50

I think Azureus does something like this, because the wizard ask you
what kind of connection you are using, including dialup.

> I see little reason for a dialup (or ADSL/cable modem)to accept 35-50
> connections in both directions which is what it does now as best I
> can tell.
>
> None of this is intended to be critical.  The great value of BT is
> that it can be tuned in ways that folks with great and small link
> bandwidth can contribute in positive ways.

Thanks so much to take so much time to explain me this. This community
is a great help, and that adds a lot to the quality of Fedora.

Philippe
--
Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand