Help Configuring Samba

Stormblaze stormblaze at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 01:35:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:41:37 -0500, Stormblaze <stormblaze at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:46:16 -0500, Stormblaze <stormblaze at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > make sure that your smbd- and "nmbd"-services are running
> >
> > I do a ps -A and I see two instances of smbd listed but yet swat
> > doesn't report it as running.

> > > in the nmbd.log you should have an entry about an master-browser
> > > this can take a while, ca. 10 minutes ?
> >
> > Yes I see this entry. I also saw something I'm not sure is right. The
> > entry reads:
> >
> >  Samba name server LINUXSERVER is now a local master browser for
> > workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet xxx
> >
> > Where xxx is my outside IP. Is that supposed to be set to that? Or to
> > my local IP?

> > > make sure that all your clients are in the same workgroup
> > > your XP-user exist in the /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> >
> > Yes. For testing I'm logging in as adminstrator and there is an entry
> > in this file
> >
> > root = administrator admin
> >
> > > you have disabled the XP-firewall for your lan
> >
> > I run iptables on the linux server and NPF on my local machine.
> > However, since even on the same box swat has stopped reporting that
> > smbd is running....
> >
> > > in your smb.conf  your_share_section you should evtl. have
> > > "browseable = yes"
> > > and you should evtl. remove
> > > "username = nobody"
> >
> > I removed the username nobody thing.
> >
> > > and you could try in the global-section
> > > "hosts allow = <your_subnet>"
> > > "encrypt passwords = yes"
> >
> > Changed it to this.
> >
> > I also tried adding the interfaces option and forcing it to be my
> > local one so samba sets up as browser for my local subnet.
> >
> > The problem I'm having right now though is that earlier today I was
> > able to start the smbd daemon through swat and it's status showed
> > running. Same for the nmbd. However, right now the smbd isn't showing
> > as running from swat. nmbd does.
> >
> > If I do a ps -A I see two instances of smbd running. At this point I
> > can't even get to where I  was earlier.
> >

> > --
> > "We should have a way of telling people they have bad breath without
> > hurting their feelings. Like: Well I'm bored. Let's go brush our
> > teeth. Or, I've got to make a phone call...hold this gum in your
> > mouth.
> >

> Well, got to where I was before at least. I deleted the smb.conf file
> completely and now swat will start and stop smbd just fine and the
> status changes. Even though I have some of the options set they don't
> seem to make it into the smb.conf file like the workgroup setting.
> I'll try to manually create the file and see. Maybe this newer version
> of swat is buggy.
>

> --
> "We should have a way of telling people they have bad breath without
> hurting their feelings. Like: Well I'm bored. Let's go brush our
> teeth. Or, I've got to make a phone call...hold this gum in your
> mouth.

Well, got it working. Well I can see the shares. Apparently it's a
permissions thing. Using user security level requires me to set things
up differently and I'm still not sure how. Using share level security
was what I was used to. Set it to that and voila it worked.

I'll investigate how to set up user security later I guess. Thanks for
all the help you guys.