Penium-1 ? 8MB ??

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 11 01:45:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:14:40PM +0200, YigalB wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:52:43AM -0600, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> >>     Nope.  I ran RH9 in 32M on a 486 (for a router) but it wouldn't
> >> install with anything less.  Now, I *have* seen it run on
> >128M with a
> >> Cyrix 133; it actually _worked_ enough to get the basics done.
> >
> >This is true for Fedora Core and probably the last decade of
> >RHL releases, but there _are_ Linux distributions targetted at
> >such equipment.
> Can you help me find them? From computing power I am sure that’s enough
> - the problem is to locate such minimal kernel.

In your Google searches look also at the BSD flavors of unix.
There are some tiny projects out there.

Recall that Linux is a Linux kernel plus GNU tools plus X-windows,
plus this and that.

BSD flavors are a BSD kernel plus GNU tools, plus.....

Currently there are some BSD setups that boot and run from floppy....
There are some that boot and run from CDROM.

I am a fan of the RH and Fedora packages but for your
tiny box you will have to be much more selective.  Like you
I am wondering what to do with an old laptop.... the battery
is gone and the battery is more expensive than the box is worth.
Not enough memory....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.