NVIDIA Again

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Nov 11 01:52:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Jeff Vian wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 09:48, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > > Are you shure about the name? Couldn't find it.
> >
> > In FC2, at least, you'll find the following lines in /etc/rc.sysinit (I
> > have no reason to suspect that things have changed in FC3):
> >
> > 	# Load modules (for backward compatibility with VARs)
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > 	if [ -f /etc/rc.modules ]; then
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > 	        /etc/rc.modules
> >
> > The file doesn't exist by default, but if you create it, it will get run.
> >
> > --
> > 		Matthew Saltzman
> >
> This says that if that file exists it should get run, but is only there
> for compatibility with certain vendors and customized software.

I asked about that when I needed a mechanism for making sure a module
(SmartLink winmodem driver) was installed before the daemon that needed it
was started.  I was assured that this was exactly the situation that this
was designed for, and that the mechanism was not going anywhere.  (Maybe
the comment should be removed...)

> The FC2 install hardly ever needs it, and I surely don't with my nvidia
> driver.

It seem clear from other posts that it's not needed for the NVIDIA driver.
In fact, in FC2, I didn't need the proprietary modem driver either, so my
/etc/rc.modules is gone.

But it is useful in some situations--no other early module-install
mechanism is available except for modifying /etc/rc.sysinit yourself,
which is ugly and dangerous.  rc.local is executed after all other startup
scripts--too late if one of your daemons requires a module before it runs.

> The xorg.conf file tells X to load the module so it does not need to be
> loaded at anytime other than when X starts.

Clearly a superior solution for this case.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu