FC3 Networking issue

Colin Stewart colin at owlfish.com
Thu Nov 11 03:29:01 UTC 2004

Hi,

I performed an upgrade from FC2 to FC3, and have subsequently run into
an issue with the naming of my network cards.

I have two network cards, one that connects to a hub on my internal
network and the other connecting to a DSL modem.  The network card
attached to the DSL modem is being given a strange name (e.g. "dev8680"
although the number changes on every reboot) rather than the persistent
name of eth0 as it was under FC2.  This is a problem because I have to
reconfigure the DSL setup on every reboot as the hardware name changes.

Here's what I've found so far...

In /var/log/dmesg:
eth1: RealTek RTL-8029 found at 0x1820, IRQ 9, 00:50:BA:A7:61:8E.

eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0x1400, 00:05:5d:d5:21:d6, IRQ 10
eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
ne2k-pci.c:v1.03 9/22/2003 D. Becker/P. Gortmaker
  http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html

Interestingly eth1 and eth0 are swapped from the names I used under FC2.

In the Network Configuration GUI tool I see the following hardware
listed:
Network Configuration has this under Hardware:
Device: dev8680

Device: eth1

Device: eth0

In /etc/sysconfig/hwconf I see two NETWORK entries - both with the
*same* device name:
class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth1
driver: ne2k-pci
desc: "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)"
network.hwaddr: 00:50:BA:A7:61:8E
vendorId: 10ec
deviceId: 8029
subVendorId: 1186
subDeviceId: 0300
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  0
pcidev: 10
pcifn:  0
-
class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth1
driver: 8139too
desc: "D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet"
network.hwaddr: 00:05:5D:D5:21:D6
vendorId: 1186
deviceId: 1300
subVendorId: 1186
subDeviceId: 1301
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  0
pcidev:  f
pcifn:  0

Finally some process (I'm not sure what) is add lines similar to "alias
dev8680 ne2k-pci" to my /etc/modprobe.conf.

Has anyone any suggestions as to why this happening and more
importantly, how I can fix it?

Colin.