[Off Topic] Burning DVDs

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Thu Nov 11 15:21:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 07:30 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 00:30 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > I'm trying to burn a DVD for installing FC3.  I've downloaded
> > FC3-i386-DVD.iso using BitTorrent; it checks OK comparing the
> > accompanying md5 file MD5SUM.
> >
> > I've tried to burn a DVD using k3b; so far I've made 4 such DVDs.
> > Unfortunately, these DVDs are all bad.  K3b indicates a comparison
> > failure, and invoking "linux mediacheck" on booting from the DVD
> > indicates the same thing.  Some of the DVDs won't boot at all.
> >
> > The CD/DVD drive is a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S.  The DVD blanks are
> > Memorex 4X DVD-R.  K3b was running in "Auto" speed burning some DVDs and
> > in "4x" speed burning others.
> >
> > Does anyone know what the problem might be?  Any idea on how to cure
> > it?  Different brand of DVD blanks?  Clean the drive?  Whatever?
>
> I have the exact same model of DVD burner running on FC3 with no issues.
> I've burned a stack of 25 FC3 DVDs using TDK 4x DVD+R media with no
> problems so far.
>
> I did notice a number of issues burning CDs and DVDs on FC2 just before
> I switched over to FC3 (which I did at Test3). This was particularly
> true when running K3B - it just acted outright "goofy" at times. It
> could be something there. K3B seems much more stable on FC3 though. I'll
> be switching over to Memorex 8X DVD+R media shortly and will post if I
> run into any troubles.
>
> Sorry I couldn't help more, but perhaps my info will jog someone else's
> memory or at least get you headed in the right direction.

Come to think of it (now that I've had a cup of coffee), you might try
booting one of the older FC2 kernels, pre-2.6.8, as I remember they made
changes to the the kernel starting there which caused some CD/DVD
burning problems. You couldn't do it at all if you weren't root and some
folks still had problems even then...

Cheers,

Chris

--