Samba Permissions

Stormblaze stormblaze at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 15:55:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:12:12 +0100, shrek-m at gmx.de <shrek-m at gmx.de> wrote:
> Stormblaze wrote:
>

> >Ok, Samba is up and running. I can see the share I set up. However, I
> >can not write to it. What I'd like to have is for the default to be
> >read only and allow only certain users to write to it. So I set the
> >read only property to yes then I supplied users for write and admin
> >previledges. I log into my XP box as administrator and map to the
> >share but I still can't write to it.
> >
> >I tried turning the read only setting off and still could not write to
> >it. Any help? Here's my current smb.conf.
> >
> ># Samba config file created using SWAT
> ># from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
> ># Date: 2004/11/11 09:35:39
> >
> ># Global parameters
> >[global]
> >       server string = Linux Server
> >       interfaces = eth1
> >       security = SHARE
> >       preferred master = Yes
> >       ldap ssl = no
> >
> >[Data]
> >       path = /Data
> >       admin users = root, admin, administrator
> >       write list = root, admin, administrator
> >       guest ok = Yes
> >

> # ll /Data
>
> $ man smb.conf
>
> writable = yes
> or
> writeable = yes
> both should be ok.

Tried that. Those two are synonyms for the read only attribute. I
tried setting the share attribute read only to no. I still couldn't
write to it.

> valid users = mary fred

I set guest ok to yes. Shouldn't this allow any users on? I'm doing
this for testing right now. Is it possible that my XP box is
remembering the settings for that share from the first time it logged
in?

What I do is I change the settings. I restart both smbd and nmbd. I
disconnect the drive that is mappened to the share. I re-connect and
try.