Samba Permissions

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Thu Nov 11 18:27:29 UTC 2004

Stormblaze wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:12:12 +0100, shrek-m at gmx.de <shrek-m at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> <>Stormblaze wrote:
>> # Global parameters
>> [global]
>> server string = Linux Server
>> interfaces = eth1
>> security = SHARE
>> preferred master = Yes
>> ldap ssl = no
>>
>> [Data]
>> path = /Data
>> admin users = root, admin, administrator
>> write list = root, admin, administrator
>> guest ok = Yes
>>

>># ll /Data

Where is the output? Did you get nothing when you did this ll? If so,
there is nothing there, or only hidden files. Have you  set up your
samba users with the 'smbpasswd -a username' command?

>> <>valid users = mary fred

This will allow only the specified users to connect. You say you cannot
write to that dir? If you actually have a dir called /Data, check the
owner of the directory. What I had to do on one machine so that multiple
users could write to the same files was create a group of those users on
the linux (samba) box, and use the 'force group = groupname' option in
the smb.conf file.

Try this: (and substitute user1,user2,user3 for valid usernames on your
XP boxes)

groupadd smbppl
edit the /etc/group and /etc/gshadow files and add your user names,
separated by commas to the end of the entires for smbppl
(smbppl:x:502:user1,user2,user3)
Change the group ownership of your /Data dir and all it's files:
chown -R root.smbppl /Data
edit your smb.conf file to look like this:

[Data]
path = /Data
valid users = user1,user2,user3
force group = backup
force create mode = 660
create mask = 0775
directory mode = 0775
public = no
writable = yes

run 'testparm' to check the syntax
restart samba (service smb restart)
then try to write to the dir from an XP box