package installer

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Nov 11 21:06:31 UTC 2004

Brian Richardson wrote:

> On 10-Nov-04, at 8:53 PM, Rick Patterson wrote:
>
>> I am a fairly new user I have installed Fedora Core2 and used it for
>> a little while and would like to add some new programs but don't know
>> how to install RPM's I have down loaded.Along time ago I used a
>> redhat installation and it had a package installer but I can't find
>> one with this one.
>> Help please
>

> I've never found the graphical package installer to be particularly
> useful. A simple
>
> rpm -Uhv *.rpm
>
> from the terminal will install/upgrade all RPMs from the current
> directory and display progress as it does so.

Rick may be refering to a VERY old gui RPM package manager, I think it
was called gnorpm or some thing similar, it came with the very early
(but not incredibly early) redhat distrobutions, I think it was removed
after RedHat 8, but don't quote me on that.

It was very handy, for people that don't like the terminal....

Dougie